J R Jennings, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Gianaros PJ, Jennings JR. Host in the machine: A neurobiological perspective on psychological stress and cardiovascular disease. Am Psychol. 2018 Nov;73(8):1031-1044. doi: 10.1037/amp0000232. PMID:30394781 Psychophysiology. 53(4):444-454, 2016. doi: 10.1111/psyp.12586
- Jennings JR, Heim AF, Sheu LK, Muldoon MF, Ryan C, Gach HM, Schirda C, Gianaros PJ. Brain Regional Blood Flow and Working Memory Performance Predict Change in Blood Pressure Over 2 Years.Hypertension. 2017 Dec;70(6):1132-1141. doi: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.117.09978. Epub 2017 Oct 16.PMID:29038202
- Jennings JR, Pardini DA, Matthews KA. Heart rate, health, and hurtful behavior. Psychophysiology. 2017 Mar;54(3):399-408. doi: 10.1111/psyp.12802. Epub 2016 Dec 27.PMID:28026867.
- Jennings JR, Muldoon MF, Ryan C, Gach HM, Heim A, Sheu LK, Gianaros PJ. Prehypertensive Blood Pressures and Regional Cerebral Blood Flow Independently Relate to Cognitive Performance in Midlife.J Am Heart Assoc. 2017 Mar 17;6(3). pii: e004856. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.116.004856
- Jennings, J.R., Allen, B., Gianaros, P.J., Thayer, J.F., & Manuck, S.B.: Focusing neurovisceral integration: Cognition, heart rate variability, and cerebral blood flow. Psychophysiology, 52(2):214-224, 2015. DOI: 10.1111/psyp.12319
Two Studies on Hot Flashes and Cardiovascular Health by Department Researcher Receive Top Honor from Menopause Journal
Two pivotal studies by a Department of Psychiatry researcher were recognized in the November 2018 commemorative issue of the journal Menopause. The papers helped overturn a long-held idea that hot flashes are a harmless annoyance of midlife by demonstrating that they are associated with risks for cardiovascular disease. Rebecca Thurston, PhD, Professor of Psychiatry, Clinical and Translational Science, Epidemiology...
Hot Publication - Bylsma et al.
Juvenile onset depression alters cardiac autonomic balance in response to psychological and physical challengesBylsma LM, Yaroslavsky I, Rottenberg J, Jennings JR, George CJ, Kiss E, Kapornai K, Halas K, Dochnal R, Lefkovics E, Benák I, Baji I, Vetró A and Kovacs MBiological Psychology, 110:167-174, 2015Cardiac autonomic balance (CAB) indexes the ratio of parasympathetic to sympathetic activation, and is believed...
J. Richard Jennings, PhD Receives Prestigious Society for Psychophysiological Research Distinguished Contributions Award
Dr. Jennings is presented with theDistinguished Contributions to Psychophysiology Award byDr. Maurits van der Molen of HollandThe Society for Psychophysiological Research has presented J. Richard Jennings, Professor of Psychiatry, with the Distinguished Contributions to Psychophysiology Award. Dr. Jennings was presented with the award at the Society's annual meeting in September 10-14, 2014 in Atlanta, GA.The...