Eva M Szigethy, MD, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Szigethy EM, Allen, J, Reiss M, Cohen W, Perera LP, Brillstein L, Cross RK, Schwartz DA, Kosinski, LR, Colton JB, LaRusso, E, Atreja A, Regueiro, MD. The Impact of Psychosocial Factors on the Care of Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease: A White Paper from the American Gastroenterological Institute. Clinical Gastro & Hepatology, 15:986-997, 2017
- Regueiro MD, McAnallen SE, Greer JB, Perkins SE, Ramalingam S, Szigethy E. The Inflammatory Bowel Disease Specialty Medical Home: A New Model of Patient-centered Care. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2016. 22(8):1971-1978
- Szigethy E, Youk AO, Fairclough D, Weisz J, Ducharme P, Bujoreanu SI, Gonzalez-Heydrich J, Keljo DJ, Bousvaros A, Srinath A, Kupfer DJ, DeMaso DR.Effect of 2 psychotherapies on depression and disease activity in pediatric Crohns disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2015; 21(6):1321-8 PMID 25822010
- Szigethy E, Youk AO, Benhayon D, Newara MC, Kirshner MA, Bujoreanu IS, Mrakotsky C, Bousvaros A, Srinath A, Keljo DJ, Kupfer DJ, DeMaso DR. Depression Subtypes in Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition. 2014 58:574-81. PMID: 24345836
- Szigethy E, Youk AO. Benhayon, D, Fairclough D, Weisz, J, Ducharme P, Bujoreanu SI, Gonzalez-Heydrich, J, Keljo DJ, Srinath A, Bousvaros A, Kirshner M, Newara M, Kupfer DJ, DeMaso DR. Comparative Efficacy of Two Psychotherapies for Depression in Youth with Inflammatory Bowel Disease: A Randomized Control Trial. J Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry, 2014 53:726-35. PMID: 24954822
- Szigethy E, Vermetten E. Hypnotic Interventions for Sleep in PTSD. In E Vermetten, A Germain, T Neylan (eds). Sleep and Combat-related Post-traumatic Stress Disorder, Springer Books, 2017.
- Szigethy E. Hypnotherapy for Inflammatory Bowel Disease across the Lifespan, Am J Clinical Hypnosis, 2015;58(1):81-99. PMID 26046718
- Drossman D, Szigethy E. Narcotic Bowel Syndrome: A recent update. Am J Gastroenterology Supplement, February 2014; 2(1):22-30.
- Srinath A, Young E, Szigethy E Pain management in IBD: Translational approaches. Inflamm Bowel Diseases 2014; 20:2433-49.PMID 25208108
- Szigethy E. Burnout: Strategies to prevent and overcome a common and dangerous problem. Psychiatric Times, May 2014
Catch Up on the UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital Podcast, Psychiatry Advances
Psychiatry Advances, the Department of Psychiatry podcast launched earlier this year, presents innovative research and patient-centered programs at the cutting edge of psychiatry and the behavioral sciences. The host of Psychiatry Advances is Loren Roth, MD, MPH, Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry. If you aren’t caught up with the latest, below are the episodes currently available to stream from the...
Residents and Faculty Members Honored with Best Poster Award at Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine Annual Meeting
Residents Craig Riccelli, MD (PGY4) and Manivel Rengasamy, MD (PGY4) and faculty members Eva Szigethy, MD, and Francis Lotrich, MD received the Best Poster Award for “Associations of Tryptophan Metabolites and Depression in Inflammatory Bowel Disease” at the Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine Annual Meeting held November 7-11 in Orlando, FL. Autoimmune diseases are associated with a 20%-60% increased risk of...
Eva M. Szigethy, MD, PhD presented with Simon Wile Leadership in Consultation Award
Eva M. Szigethy, MD, PhD has been presented with the 2017 American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry's (AACAP) Simon Wile Leadership in Consultation Award. The award acknowledges outstanding leadership and continuous contributions in the field of consultation-liaison child and adolescent psychiatry and is named after Simon Wile, MD, a renowned pediatrician and lifelong supporter of child and adolescent...
Dr. Eva Szigethy, Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Medicine and Pediatrics, has been presented with the inaugural Sherman Prize for Excellence in Crohn's and Colitis by the Bruce and Cynthia Sherman Charitable Foundation. The award recognizes outstanding contributions by health care professionals, medical researchers, public health advocates, and educators who are advancing patient care, medical research, and...