Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Harty, S.C., Gnagy, E.M., Pelham, W.E., & Molina, B.S.G. (2017). Anger-irritability as a mediator of ADHD risk for adolescent alcohol use and the contribution of coping skills. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 58(5), 555-563.
- Lisdahl, K.M., Tamm, L., Epstein, J.N., Jernigan, T., Molina, B., Hinshaw, S.P., Swanson, J.M., Newman, E., Kelly, C., Bjork, J. & MTA Neuroimaging Group. (2016). The impact of ADHD persistence, recent cannabis use, and age of regular cannabis use onset on subcortical volume and cortical thickness in young adults. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 161, 135-146.
- Pedersen, S.L., Walther, C.A.P., Harty, S.C., Gnagy, E.M., Pelham, W.E., Molina, B.S.G. (2016). The indirect effects of childhood ADHD on alcohol problems in adulthood through unique facets of impulsivity. Addiction, 111(9), 1582-1589.
- Howard, A.L., Molina, B S.G., Swanson, J.M., Hinshaw, S.P., Belendiuk, K.A., Harty, S.C., Arnold, L.E., Abikoff, H.B., Hechtman, L., Stehli, A., Greenhill, L.L., Newcorn, J.H., & Wigal, T. (2015). Developmental progression to early adult binge drinking and marijuana use from worsening versus stable trajectories of adolescent ADHD and delinquency. Addiction, 110(5), 784-795.
- Molina, B.S.G., Walther, C.A.P., Cheong, J., Pedersen, S., Gnagy, E.M., & Pelham, W.E. (2014). Heavy alcohol use in early adulthood as a function of childhood ADHD: Developmentally-specific mediation by social impairment and delinquency. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 22 (2), 110-121
Catch Up on the UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital Podcast, Psychiatry Advances
Psychiatry Advances, the Department of Psychiatry podcast launched earlier this year, presents innovative research and patient-centered programs at the cutting edge of psychiatry and the behavioral sciences. The host of Psychiatry Advances is Loren Roth, MD, MPH, Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry. If you aren’t caught up with the latest, below are the episodes currently available to stream from the...
“This summer has been one of the most transformative times of my life”: The 10th Annual Center for Translational Mental Health Research Undergraduate Research Program
This summer marks the 10th year of the Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program, funded by the NIMH Conte Center for Translational Mental Health Research. The competitive 10-week summer program provides undergraduate students studying neuroscience, biology and psychology, among other fields, the opportunity to conduct hands-on, cutting-edge neuroscience research under the mentorship of clinical and basic...
New Research: Primary Care Provider Training to Prevent Stimulant Diversion among College Students
Non-prescribed use of stimulant medications, such as Adderall®, by young adults is a growing problem, particularly among college students. It is often fueled by drug diversion, or the transfer of a legally prescribed medication to another person for illicit use. Among college students, stimulant use is frequently motivated by a desire to enhance academic performance or to use the drug recreationally. A team of...
Dr. Brooke Molina Receives Research Society on Alcoholism Marlatt Mentorship Award
The Research Society on Alcoholism (RSA) has named Brooke Molina, PhD as its 2018 Marlatt Mentorship Award recipient. This award is given to an individual(s) who demonstrates exceptional mentoring of young researchers in the alcohol research field. Dr. Molina, Professor of Psychiatry, is devoted to mentoring the next generation of mental health scientists, reflected in her training roles as Co-Director of the...