Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- KLUNK WE, Engler H, Nordberg A, Wang Y, Blomqvist G, Holt DP, Bergstrom M, Savitcheva I, Huang G-F, Estrada S, Ausen B, Debnath ML, Barletta J, Price JC, Sandell J, Lopresti BJ, Wall A, Koivisto P, Antoni G, Mathis CA and Langstrom,B. Imaging brain amyloid in Alzheimers disease with Pittsburgh Compound-B (PIB). Annals of Neurology 2004;55:306-319.
- Handen BL, Cohen AD, Channamalappa U, Bulova P, Cannon SA, Cohen WI, Mathis CA, Price JC and KLUNK WE. Imaging brain amyloid in nondemented young adults with Down syndrome using Pittsburgh compound B. Alzheimers &amp;amp; Dementia 2012;8:496-501.
- Lopez OL, KLUNK WE, Mathis C, Coleman RL, Price J, Becker JT, Aizenstein HJ, Snitz B, Cohen A, Ikonomovic M, McDade E, DeKosky ST, Weissfeld L and Kuller LH. Amyloid, neurodegeneration, and small vessel disease as predictors of dementia in the oldest-old. Neurology 2014;83:1804-1811.
- KLUNK WE, Koeppe RA, Price JC, Benzinger TL, Devous MD, Sr., Jagust WJ, Johnson KA, Mathis CA, Minhas D, Pontecorvo MJ, Rowe CC, Skovronsky DM and Mintun MA. The Centiloid Project: Standardizing quantitative amyloid plaque estimation by PET. Alzheimers Dement 2015;11:1-15.
- Yau WY, Tudorascu DL, McDade EM, Ikonomovic S, James JA, Minhas D, Mowrey W, Sheu LK, Snitz BE, Weissfeld L, Gianaros PJ, Aizenstein HJ, Price JC, Mathis CA, Lopez OL and KLUNK WE. Longitudinal assessment of neuroimaging and clinical markers in autosomal dominant Alzheimer's disease: a prospective cohort study. Lancet Neurol 2015;14:804-813.
Zaven Khachaturian Award
The Alzheimer's Association has presented Dr. Bill Klunk with the 2017 Zaven Khachaturian Award at the association's 2017 international conference in London. The award is named in honor of noted scientist and author, Zaven Khachaturian, PhD. Dr. Khachaturian held an academic appointment in the Pitt Department of Psychiatry from 1969 to 1977 and was Vice-President for Research at the University of Pittsburgh before...
Top 1% Most Cited Researchers
Thomson Reuters has a new methodology for determining the scientific impact of investigators in different fields. In each field they have listed the top 1% of researchers for most cited documents. Using this new methodology in 2014-2015, three researchers in the University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry were ranked: Drs. William Klunk (left), David Lewis (middle) and David Kupfer (right). Dr. Klunk is well...
Hot Publication - Cohen and Klunk
Early Detection of Alzheimer's Disease using PiB and FDG PET Cohen AD and Klunk WE Neurobiology of Disease, 72:117-122, 2014 The use of biomarkers in the detection of early and preclinical Alzheimer's disease has become of central importance following publication of the revised criteria for the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease, mild cognitive impairment and preclinical Alzheimer's disease by the National Institute...
Butters & Colleagues
Plasma Biosignature and Brain Pathology Related to Persistent Cognitive Impairment in Late-Life Depression Diniz BS, Sibille E, Ding Y, Tseng G, Aizenstein HJ, Lotrich F, Becker JT, Lopez OL, Lotze MT, Klunk WE, Reynolds CF and Butters MA Molecular Psychiatry, 2015, 20(5):594-601 There is a high prevalence of cognitive impairment among individuals with late-life depression (LLD) that tends to persist even after...