Tammy A Chung, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Chung, T, Creswell, K, Bachrach, R, Clark, D, Martin, C. (in press). Adolescent binge drinking: Developmental context and opportunities for prevention. Alcohol Res Curr Reviews
- Chung, T, Tittgemeyer, M, Feldstein Ewing, S. Introduction to the special issue: Using neuroimaging to probe mechanisms of behavior change. NeuroImage. 2017; 151: 1-3
- Suffoletto, B, Chung, T. Patterns of Change in Weekend Drinking Cognitions among Non-Treatment Seeking Young Adults During Exposure to a 12-Week Text Message Intervention. J Stud Alc Drugs. 2016 77: 914-923
- Chung, T, Noronha, A, Carroll, KM, Potenza, MN, Hutchison, K, Calhoun, VD, Gabrieli, JDE, Morgenstern, J, Nixon, SJ, Wexler, BE, Brewer, J, Ray, L, Filbey, FF, Strauman, TJ, Kober, H, Feldstein Ewing, SW. Brain mechanisms of change in addictions treatment: Models, Methods, and Emerging Findings. Curr Addiction Rep. 2016 3(3): 332-342
- Black, JJ, Chung, T. Mechanisms of change in adolescent substance use treatment: How does treatment work? Subst Abuse 2014; 35, 344-51. (Best Paper Award)
Waning Communication with Parents Puts Lesbian and Bisexual Teens at Greater Risk for Substance Use
Photo attribution: “Lost at Sea” by James Burrell A new study finds lesbian and bisexual teen girls are more likely than heterosexual girls to close down communication with their parents over the years. This loss of parent-child communication was linked to greater risk for marijuana and cigarette use when the teen turned 18, report Department of Psychiatry researchers and collaborators in the Journal of Adolescence...
Tammy Chung, PhD Promoted to Tenured Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh Pitt School of Medicine
Tammy Chung, PhD is well known internationally as an expert on the development, consequences, and treatment of adolescent substance use disorders. Her work has had a profound effect on the field of addiction medicine. Findings from her earlier work helped to shape the definition of adolescent substance abuse disorder and diagnosis and influenced the American Psychiatry Association’s revisions for the current DSM-5...
Hot Publication - Chung & Maisto
Time-varying associations between confidence and motivation to abstain from marijuana during treatment among adolescents Chung T and Maisto SA Addictive Behavior, 57:62-68, 2016 An important goal of addictions treatment is to develop a positive association between high levels of confidence and motivation to abstain from substance use. Dr. Tammy Chung examined session-to-session changes in level of confidence and...
Hot Publication - Clark et al.
Screening for underage drinking and Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition alcohol use disorder in rural primary care practice Clark DB, Martin CS, Chung T, Gordon AJ, Fiorentino L, Tootell M and Rubio DM Journal of Pediatrics, 2016,173:214-220. A study led by Dr. Duncan Clark indicates that a single screening question about drinking frequency in the past year could help doctors identify...