Education & Training
Karolinska Institutet, Solna, Sweden, School of Medicine Medicine
UCLA and the Sepulveda Veterans HospitalPsychiatry and Medicine
Stanford University School of MedicinePsychiatry
Stanford School of MedicineBehavioral Medicine
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Member, American Psychiatric Association
Anxiety disorders and balance dysfunction; Height phobia; Somato-psychic relationshipsSelected Research Publications & Products
- Jacob RG, Redfern MS, Furman, JM. Space and Motion Discomfort (SMD) and abnormal balance control in patients with anxiety disorders. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry, Jan 2009; 80: 74 - 78.
- Jacob RG, Whitney SL, Detweiler-Shostak G, Furman, JM. Vestibular rehabilitation for patients with agoraphobia and vestibular dysfunction: a pilot study. Journal of Anxiety Disorders 15:131-146, 2001. (special issue, Balance Disorder/Anxiety Interface).
- NHLBI Raynaud's Treatment Study Collaborative group (R. Jacob, Pittsburgh site director) Comparison of sustained-release nifedipine and temperature biofeedback for treatment of primary Raynaud phenomenon. Results from a randomized clinical trial with 1-year follow-up. ). Arch Intern Med. 2000 Apr 24;160(8):1101-8.
- Jacob, RG, Thayer, JF, Manuck SB, Muldoon MF, Tamres, LK, Williams, DM, Ding, Y, & Gatsonis, C. Ambulatory blood pressure responses and the circumplex Model of Mood: A Four-Day Study. Psychosomatic Medicine 61:319-333, 1999.
Anxiety disorders; Psychosomatic medicine; Behavior therapySelected Clinical Publications & Products
- Jacob, R.G, Hugo, J.A., & Dunbar-Jacob. History of Psychosomatic Medicine and Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry. Chapter 1 in K.D. Ackerman & A.F. Dimartini (Eds). Psychosomatic Medicine, Pittsburgh Pocket Psychiatry. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2015, pp 3-19
- Jacob, R.G. & Pelham W.H. Behavior Therapy. In B.J. Sadock and V.A. Sadock (Eds.): Kaplan & Sadock's Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry. Eighth Edition, 2006 .
- Jacob, R.G.; Brandt, T.; and Furman, J.M. Psychiatric aspects of dizziness and imbalance. In Clinical Disorders of Posture and Gait. Eds. A. Bronstein and T. Brandt. Second edition. Arthur Publishing, pp 245-285, 2004
- Jacob, R.G., Furman, J.M., & Cass, S.P. Psychiatric Consequences of Vestibular Dysfunction. In L. Luxon, A. Martini, J. Furman, & D. Stephens (Eds): Audiologic Medicine (London: Martin Dunitz/Taylor and Francis, 2003) pp 869-887.
- Jacob, R.G., & Moore, D.J. Paradoxical interventions in the area of behavioral medicine. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry, 15, 205-214, 1984.
Consultation-liaison psychiatry; Interviewing techniques; Strategic psychotherapy