Richard K Morycz, PhD
Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Medicine, and Social Work
3811 O'Hara St.
Education & Training
University of Pittsburgh, School of Social Work Gerontology
Univeristy of Chicago, School of Social Service Administration
West Virginia UniversitySocial Work
University of PittsburghMedical Ethics
Andrus Gerontology Center, University of Southern CaliforniaGerontology
University of Southern CaliforniaGerontology
Academy of Certified Social Workers
National Association of Social Workers (Qualified Clinical Social Worker)
Program Director, Geriatric In-Home Support Program
Member, Gerontological Society of America
Member, National Association of Social Workers
Selected Honors & Awards
Resource, White House Conference on Aging
Faculty Recognition, Association of Gerontology in Higher Education
Family caregiver burden; Psychotherapy in late lifeSelected Research Publications & Products
- Desire-To-Institutionalize Scale utilized for research projects both nationally (NIA-funded REACH I and REACH II Research Projects) and internationally. National Institute of Health website (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=morycz's+scale) as well as in publications - for example, Sun F1, Durkin DW, Hilgeman MM, Harris G, Gaugler JE, Wardian J, Allen RS, Burgio LD. Predicting desire for institutional placement among racially diverse dementia family caregivers: the role of quality of care. Gerontologist. 2013 Jun;53(3):418-29. doi: 10.1093/geront/gns110. Also, significant article published about reliability of scale used across various racial and ethnic groups - Gina M. McCaskill, MSW, MPA, Louis D. Burgio, PhD, Jamie DeCoster, PhD, and Lucinda Lee Roff, PhD. The Use of Moryczs Desire-to-Institutionalize Scale Across Three Racial/Ethnic Groups. Journal of Aging and Health23(1) 195202, 2011.
- Morycz RK. Caregiving strain and the desire to institutionalize family members with Alzheimer's disease. Research on Aging, 7(3):329-36l, 1985.
Family caregiver burden; Medical ethics and palliative care; Healthy agingSelected Clinical Publications & Products
- Morycz RK, Malloy JE, and Bozich MA. Racial differences in family burden: Clinical implications for social work. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 10:133-154, 1987.
- Morycz RK. An exploration of senile dementia and family burden. Clinical Social Work Journal, 8:16-17, 1980
Gerontology; Medical ethics; Psycho-social issues in the elderlySelected Education Publications & Products
- Miller, M and Morycz, RK. Preparing for the Rise in Alzheimers Disease Cases: A Proposal for Training Support Personnel Commentary J Gerontol Geriatr Res 2015, 4: 195 doi: 10.4172/2167-7182.1000195. Mark D Miller and Richard K Morycz. Published January 27, 2015