Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Thurston RC, Sutton-Tyrrell K, Everson-Rose SA, Hess R, Matthews KA. Hot flashes and subclinical cardiovascular disease: Findings from The Study of Womens Health Across the Nation Heart Study. Circulation. 2008 Sep; 118(12):1234-40. PMCID: PMC2728044
- Thurston RC, Aizenstein HJ, Derby CA, Sejdic E, Maki PM. Menopausal hot flashes and white matter hyperintensities. Menopause. 2016 Jan; 23(1):27-32. PMCID: PMC4673042
- Thurston RC, Chang Y, Barinas-Mitchell E, von Knel R, Jennings JR, Santoro N, Landsittel DP, Matthews KA. Child abuse and neglect and subclinical cardiovascular disease among midlife women. Psychosom Med. 2017 May; 79(4): 441-9. PMCID: PMC5477855
- Thurston RC, Chang Y, von Knel R, Barinas-Mitchell E, Jennings JR, Hall MH, Santoro N, Buysse DJ, Matthews KA. Sleep characteristics and carotid atherosclerosis among midlife women. Sleep. 2017 Feb; 40(2): zsw052. PMID: 28364498
- Thurston RC, Kubzansky LD, Kawachi I, Berkman LF. Is the association between socioeconomic position and coronary heart disease stronger among women than men? Am J Epidemiol. 2005 Jul; 162(2):57-65. PMID: 15961587
- Thurston RC. Vasomotor symptoms: Natural history, risk factors, and treatment options. UPMC Synergies. 2016; Fall:1-11.
- The 2017 hormone therapy position statement of the North American Menopause Society. 2017 Jul; 24(7): 728-53.
Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault Associated with Poorer Physical and Mental Health Among Midlife Women
A new study by Rebecca Thurston, PhD , Professor of Psychiatry, Clinical and Translational Science, Epidemiology and Psychology suggests that experiences of sexual harassment and sexual assault could have a significant impact on the physical and mental health of midlife women. Study results, published in JAMA Internal Medicine, also will be presented by Dr. Thurston at the North American Menopause Society meeting...
Dr. Thurston Receives Honors
Congratulations to Dr. Rebecca Thurston, PhD, on her selection by the International Menopause Society (IMS) for the prestigious Henry Burger Prize. Dr. Thurston was presented with the prize at the recent 15th World Congress on Menopause in Prague. The prize is awarded to the investigator who is judged as having published the most significant contributions to the field of menopause in basic science or clinical...
Dr. Rebecca Thurston Promoted
Congratulations to Dr. Rebecca Thurston on her promotion to the rank of Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. Thurston also holds secondary appointments at Pitt in Epidemiology and Psychology, and Clinical and Translational Science. Dr. Thurston earned her Master?s and doctorate degrees in clinical health psychology from Duke University. She completed a clinical internship...
Hot Publication - Thurston et al.
Trajectories of Vasomotor Symptoms and Carotid Intima Media Thickness in the Study of Women's Health across the Nation Thurston RC, El Khoudary SR, Tepper PG, Jackson EA, Joffe H, Chen Y-H and Matthews KA Stroke, Published Online Emerging work has linked menopausal vasomotor symptoms (VMS) to subclinical cardiovascular disease (CVD) among women. However, these studies typically examine VMS at one time point in...