Peter M Bachman, PhD
Education & Training
- Forsyth JK, Bachman P, Mathalon DH, Roach BJ, Ye E, Asarnow RF. Effects of Augmenting N-Methyl-D-Aspartate Receptor Signaling on Working Memory and Experience-Dependent Plasticity in Schizophrenia: An Exploratory Study Using Acute d-cycloserine. Schizophr Bull. 2017 Mar 17. doi: 10.1093/schbul/sbw193. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28338977.
- Owens EM, Bachman P, Glahn DC, Bearden CE. Electrophysiological Endophenotypes for Schizophrenia. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2016 Mar-Apr;24(2):129-47. doi: 10.1097/HRP.0000000000000110. Review. PubMed PMID: 26954597; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4785844.
- Forsyth JK, Bachman P, Mathalon DH, Roach BJ, Asarnow RF. Augmenting NMDA receptor signaling boosts experience-dependent neuroplasticity in the adult human brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015 Dec 15;112(50):15331-6. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1509262112. Epub 2015 Nov 30. PubMed PMID: 26621715; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4687562.
- Golembo-Smith S, Bachman P, Senturk D, Cannon TD, Bearden CE. Youth-caregiver agreement on clinical high-risk symptoms of psychosis. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2014 May;42(4):649-58. doi: 10.1007/s10802-013-9809-x. PubMed PMID: 24092494; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4074879.
- Jalbrzikowski M, Sugar CA, Zinberg J, Bachman P, Cannon TD, Bearden CE. Coping styles of individuals at clinical high risk for developing psychosis. Early Interv Psychiatry. 2014 Feb;8(1):68-76. doi: 10.1111/eip.12005. Epub 2012 Nov 19. PubMed PMID: 23164368; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3582773.
West Allegheny High School Students Do Their Part to Address the Stigma of Mental Illness The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) estimates that mental illness affects 1 in 5 adults in the United States. Unfortunately, the widespread stigma associated with mental disorders prevents many from seeking a proper diagnosis and treatment. Students from West Allegheny High School near Pittsburgh are doing their...
Bachman & Colleagues
Augmenting NMDA Receptor Signaling Boosts Experience-Dependent Neuroplasticity in the Adult Human Brain Forsyth JK, Bachman P, Mathalon DH, Roach BJ, and Asarnow RF Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2015, Published Online Experience-dependent plasticity is a fundamental property of the brain. It is defined as the capacity of the brain to undergo changes following environmental input and use, and is a...
Department of Psychiatry Welcomes Peter Bachman, PhD to Faculty
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine has appointed Peter Bachman, PhD as Assistant Professor of Psychiatry. Dr. Bachman received his PhD in Clinical Psychology in 2007 from UCLA. As a postdoctoral fellow there, he studied physiological markers of the stress response in people with schizophrenia, and later served as a member of the UCLA faculty and Co-Director of the institution?s Adolescent Brain &...