Michael P Marshal, PhD
Education & Training
- Marshal, M. P., Goldbach, J. T., McCauley, H. L, Shultz, M. L., Dietz, L. J., Montano, G. T., & DAugelli, A. R. (2014). Gay-related stress and suicide risk: Articulating three mediated pathways that increase risk for suicidality among sexual minority youth. In D. A. Lamis & N. J. Kaslow (Eds.), Advancing the science of suicidal behavior: Understanding and intervention. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers.
- Marshal, M. P., Dermody, S. S., Cheong, J. W., Burton, C. M., Friedman, M. S., Aranda, F., & Hughes, T. L. (2013). Trajectories of depressive symptoms and suicidality among heterosexual and sexual minority youth. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 42, 1243-1256. PMID: 23784511.
- Marshal, M. P., Dietz, L. J., Friedman, M. S., Stall, R., Smith, H. A., McGinley, J., Thoma, B. C., Murray, P. J., DAugelli, A., & Brent, D. A. (2011). Suicidality and Depression Disparities between Sexual Minority and Heterosexual Youth: A Meta-Analytic Review. Journal of Adolescent Health, 49, 115-123. PMID:21783042.
- Marshal, M. P., Friedman, M. S., Stall, R., & Thompson, A. L. (2009). Individual trajectories of substance use in lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth and heterosexual youth. Addiction, 104, 974-981. PMID:19344440.
- Marshal, M. P., Friedman, M. S., Stall, R., King, K. M., Miles, J., Gold, M. A., Bukstein, O. G., & Morse, J. Q. (2008). Sexual orientation and adolescent substance use: A meta-analysis and methodological review. Addiction, 103, 546-556. PMID:18339100.
- Dermody, S. S., Marshal, M. P., Burton, C. M., & Chisolm, D. J. (2016). Risk of heavy drinking among sexual minority adolescents: Indirect pathways through sexual orientation-related victimization and affiliation with substance-using peers. Addiction, 111(9), 1599-1606.
- Dermody, S. S., Marshal, M. P., Cheong, J., Burton, C., Hughes, T., Aranda, F., & Friedman, M. S. (2014). Longitudinal disparities of hazardous drinking between sexual minority and heterosexual individuals from adolescence to young adulthood. Journal of youth and adolescence, 43(1), 30-39. PMID:23325141.
- Burton, C. M., Marshal, M. P., & Chisolm, D. J. (2014). School absenteeism and mental health among sexual minority youth and heterosexual youth. Journal of School Psychology, 52(1), 3747. PMID: 2449549
- Dietz, L. J., Marshal, M. P., Burton, C. M., Bridge, J. A., Birmaher, B., Kolko, D., Duffy, J. N., & Brent, D. A. (2014). Social problem solving among depressed adolescents is enhanced by structured psychotherapies. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 82(2), 202.
- Friedman, M.S., Marshal, M.P., Guadamuz, T. E., Wei, C., Wong, C., Saewyc, E. M., & Stall, R. (2011). A Meta-Analysis to Examine Disparities in Childhood Physical and Sexual Abuse among Sexual and Non-Sexual Minorities. American Journal of Public Health, 101, 1481-1494. PMID:21680921.
- Friedman, M. S., Chiu, J. C., Croft, C., Guadamuz, T. E., Stall, R., Marshal, M. P. (2016). Ethics of Online Consent: Comparing Strategies to Ensure Informed Assent among Youth. Journal of Empirical Research on Human Research Ethics, 11(1), 15-20.
Hot Publication - Marshal et al.
Trajectories of Depressive Symptoms and Suicidality Among Heterosexual and Sexual Minority Youth Marshal MP, Dermody SS, Cheong J, Burton CM, Friedman MS, Aranda F and Hughes TL Although studies have shown that sexual minority youth (adolescents who report a same-sex romantic or sexual orientation) report higher rates of depression and suicidality than do heterosexual youth, it was unclear whether these disparities...
Pitt Promotes Michael Marshal, PhD to Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Pediatrics
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine has promoted Michael Marshal, PhD to the rank of Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Pediatrics. Dr. Marshal was appointed to the faculty as an Assistant Professor in 2005 after completing the Department of Psychiatry Clinical Psychology Internship Program and a two-year postdoctoral fellowship in the Department's federally funded Psychiatric Epidemiology Training P...