Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Hall M, Mulukutla S, Kline CD, Samuelsson LB, Taylor BJ, Thayer JF, Krafty RT, Frank E, Kupfer DJ: Objective sleep duration is prospectively associated with endothelial health. Sleep, 40(1):zsw003, 2017.
- Taylor BJ, Matthews KA, Hasler BP, Roecklein KA, Kline CE, Buysse DJ, Kravitz HM, Tiani AG, Harlow SD, Hall M. Bedtime variability and metabolic health in midlife women: The SWAN Sleep Study. Sleep, 39(2):457-65, 2016.
- Hall M, Casement MD, Troxel WM, Matthews KA, Bromberger J, Kravitz HM, Krafty RT, Buysse DJ: Chronic stress is prospectively associated with sleep in midlife women: The SWAN sleep study. Sleep, 38(10):1645-54, 2015.
- Hall M, Matthews K, Kravitz H, Gold E, Buysse DJ, Bromberger J, Owens J, Sowers MF. Race and financial strain are independent correlates of sleep in mid-life women: The SWAN Sleep Study. Sleep, 32(1):73-82, 2009.
- Hall M, Vasko R, Buysse DJ, Ombao H, Chen Q, Cashmere JD, Kupfer DJ, Thayer JF. Acute stress affects heart rate variability during sleep. Psychosomatic Medicine, 66:56-62, 2004.
Dr. Stephen Smagula Correlates Greater Sleep Fragmentation and Less Sustained/Sharply Segregated Resting and Active Periods in Strained Caregivers with Depression Severity
Depression is associated with disturbances to sleep and the 24-hour sleep-wake pattern, or rest-activity rhythm (RAR). However, there remains a need to identify the specific sleep/RAR correlates of depression symptom severity in population subgroups, such as strained dementia caregivers, who are at elevated risk for major depressive disorder. In a five-year study led by Dr. Smagula’s mentor, Martica Hall, PhD,...
Hot Publication - Wilckens et al.
The role of non-rapid eye movement slow wave activity in prefrontal metabolism across young and middle-aged adults Wilckens KA, Aizenstein HJ, Nofzinger EA, James JA, Hasler BP, Rosario-Rivera BL, Franzen PL, Germain A, Hall MH, Kupfer DJ, Price JC, Siegle GJ and Buysse DJ Journal of Sleep Research, 25:296-306 (2016) Slow-wave sleep is a marker for cortical reorganization, particularly within the prefrontal cortex,...
Hot Publication - Hall and Colleagues
African Genetic Ancestry is Associated with Sleep Depth in Older African Americans Halder I, Matthews KA, Buysse DJ, Strollo PJ, Causer V, Reis SE and Hall MH SLEEP, 38:1185-1193, 2015 A new study clearly establishes a partial genetic basis underlying racial differences in slow-wave sleep, suggesting that it may be possible to develop sleep-related therapies that target specific genetic variants. Using a panel of 1...
Hot Publication - Kay et al.
Subjective-objective sleep discrepancy among older adults: associations with insomnia diagnosis and insomnia treatment Kay DB, Buysse DJ, Germain A, Hall M and Monk TH Journal of Sleep Research, 24:32-39, 2015 Discrepancy between subjective and objective measures of sleep is associated with insomnia and increasing age. Cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia improves sleep quality and decreases subjective...