Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
Research InterestsSelected Research Publications & Products
- South-Paul, J, Roth LH, Davis PK, Chen T, Roman A, Murrell A, Pettigrew C, Castleberry-Singleton C, and Schuman J. Building Diversity in a Complex Academic Health Center. Academic Medicine 2013; 88:1259-1264.
- Monahan J, Steadman H, Silver E, Appelbaum P, Robbins P, Mulvey E, Roth L, Grisso T, and Banks S. Rethinking risk assessment: The MacArthur study of mental disorder and violence. New York: Oxford University Press, 2001.
- Appelbaum PS, Roth LH, Lidz CW, Benson PR, Winslade WJ, Soloff P. False hopes and best data: Consent to research and the therapeutic misconception. Hastings Center Report l987; l7(2):20-24. Reprinted in: Mappes TA, Zembaty JS (eds). Biomedical Ethics. 3rd Edition. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1991.
- Appelbaum PS, Roth LH. Patients who refuse treatment in medical hospitals. Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) 1983; 250:l296-l30l. Translated into French, Japanese, and Flemish editions.
- Appelbaum PS, Roth LH. Competency to consent to research: A psychiatric overview. Archives of General Psychiatry 1982; 29:95l-958. Reprinted in French in: Cahiers de Bioethique 1982; 4:425-452. Published under the supervision of the Center for Bioethics, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Canada.
Clinical InterestsSelected Clinical Publications & Products
- Roth LH, Criss K, Stewart X, McCann K. PrepLink: A Novel Web-Based Tool for Healthcare Emergency Planning and Response. Biosecurity and Bioterrorism: Biodefense Strategy, Practice, and Science 2009; 7:85-91.
- Roth LH, Meisel A, Lidz CW. Tests of competency to consent to treatment. American Journal of Psychiatry 1977; l34:279-284. Reprinted in: Abrams N, Buckner M, eds. Medical Ethics: A Clinical Textbook and Reference for the Health Care Professions. Charlestown, MA: M.I.T. Press/Bradford Books, l98l.
- Roth LH (major author). American Psychiatric Association statement on the insanity defense. American Journal of Psychiatry 1983; l40:68l-688.
- Appelbaum PS, Roth LH. Clinical issues in the assessment of competency. American Journal of Psychiatry 198l; l38:l462-l467.
- Meisel A, Roth LH, Lidz CW. Toward a model of the legal doctrine of informed consent: History, development, and application to psychiatry. American Journal of Psychiatry l977;l34:285-289.
Education InterestsSelected Education Publications & Products
- Schilling K, Ginn DS, Mickelson P, Roth LH. Integration of information-seeking skills and activities into a problem-based curriculum. Bulletin of the Medical Library Association 1995;83(2):176-183.
- Meisel A, Roth LH. What we do and do not know about informed consent: An overview of the empirical studies. Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) l98l; 246:2473-2477.
Department Faculty Win Big at Annual UPSOM Curriculum Colloquium
Each year the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (UPSOM) recognizes outstanding faculty contributions to medical education through several prestigious awards at its annual Curriculum Colloquium. The Award Review Committee and Dean select honorees based on student and faculty nominations. This year, Department of Psychiatry faculty members garnered four awards in recognition of their outstanding contributio...
Pitt School of Medicine Presents Inaugural Roth Fellow Awards to Three Talented Medical Student Researchers
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine has selected the first recipients of the Roth Fellow Awards. The awards are named in honor of Dr. Loren Roth, Associate Sr. Vice Chancellor, Clinical Policy and Planning, Health Sciences and Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry. Dr. Roth has and continues to play a significant role in medical education at the University. The Roth fellowship will assist talent...
Loren Roth, MD, MPH Honored by the University of Pittsburgh with Chancellor's Distinguished Public Service Award
The Department of Psychiatry is honored to announce that the Dr. Loren Roth has been selected to receive the prestigious Chancellor's Distinguished Public Service Award from the University of Pittsburgh. The Chancellor's Distinguished Public Service Award recognizes outstanding public service contributions by University of Pittsburgh faculty who have utilized University and academic resources to address social prob...
Loren Roth, MD, MPH Honored by Pitt School of Medicine with Distinguished Service Professorship
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine recently announced that Loren Roth, MD, MPH has been promoted to the rank of Distinguished Service Professor, one of the highest honors that the University of Pittsburgh can accord a member of the faculty. Designation as a Distinguished Service Professor recognizes distinctive contributions and outstanding service to the University community in support of its multi-fa...