Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Banihashemi L, Wallace M, Sheu L, Lee MC, Gianaros PJ, Mackenzie R, Insana S, Germain A, Herringa R. Childhood Maltreatment Moderates the Effect of Combat Exposure on Cingulum Structural Integrity. Development and Psychopathology. 2017 Dec;29(5):1735-1747. PubMed PMID: 29162178; PubMed Central PMCID.
- Banihashemi L, Sheu LK, Midei AJ, Gianaros PJ. Childhood physical abuse predicts stressor-evoked activity within central visceral control regions. Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci. 2015 Apr;10(4):474-85. PubMed PMID: 24847113; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4381229.
- Banihashemi L, O'Neill EJ, Rinaman L. Central neural responses to restraint stress are altered in rats with an early life history of repeated brief maternal separation. Neuroscience. 2011 Sep 29;192:413-28. PubMed PMID: 21736922; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3166384.
- Banihashemi L, Rinaman L. Repeated brief postnatal maternal separation enhances hypothalamic gastric autonomic circuits in juvenile rats. Neuroscience. 2010 Jan 13;165(1):265-77. PubMed PMID: 19800939; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2788015.
- Banihashemi L, Rinaman L. Noradrenergic inputs to the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis and paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus underlie hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis but not hypophagic or conditioned avoidance responses to systemic yohimbine. J Neurosci. 2006 Nov 1;26(44):11442-53. PubMed PMID: 17079674.
Layla Banihashemi, MS, PhD Appointed Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
Dr. Layla Banihashemi, PhD has been appointed Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. After earning Master's and doctorate degrees in Neuroscience from the University of Pittsburgh, Dr. Banihashemi obtained postdoctoral training through the Department of Psychiatry's Cardiovascular Behavioral Medicine Training Program. Dr. Banihashemi is interested in the study of early...