Konasale M Prasad, MD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Nimgaonkar VL, Prasad KM, Chowdari KV, Severance EG and Yolken RH. The complement system: a gateway to gene environment interactions in schizophrenia pathogenesis. Mol Psychiatry advance online publication, August 1, 2017; doi:10.1038/mp.2017.151
- Prasad KM, Burgess AM, Keshavan MS, Nimgaonkar VL, Stanley JA. Neuropil pruning in early-course schizophrenia: Immunological, Clinical and Cognitive Correlates, Biol Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging 2016 Nov;1:528-538
- DAiuto L, Prasad KM, Upton CH, Viggiano L, Milosevic J, Raimondi G, McClain L, Chowdari KV, Tischfield J, Sheldon M, Moore J, Yolken RH, Kinchington P, Nimgaonkar VL. Persistent infection with HSV-1 associated with changes in working memory, brain activation patterns and functional architecture of iPSC-derived neurons, Schizophr Bull, 2015 Jan;41(1):123-32. doi: 10.1093/schbul/sbu032. Epub 2014 Mar 12. PubMed PMID: 24622295; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4266288 (*equally contributed to the manuscript)
- Prasad KM, Eack SM, Keshavan MS, Yolken RH, Iyengar S, Nimgaonkar VL. Antiherpes Virus-Specific Treatment and Cognition in Schizophrenia: A Test-of-Concept Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Trial. Schizophr Bull. 2013 Jul;39(4):857-66. doi: 10.1093/schbul/sbs040. Epub 2012 Mar 23. PubMed PMID: 22446565; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3686443.
- Prasad KM, Eack SM, Goradia D, Pancholi KM, Keshavan MS, Yolken RH, Nimgaonkar VL. Progressive gray matter loss and changes in cognitive functioning associated with exposure to herpes simplex virus 1 in schizophrenia: A longitudinal study. Am J Psychiatry, 2011 Aug;168(8):822-30. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2011.10101423. Epub 2011 Jun 1. PubMed PMID: 21632649; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4209378.
- Prasad KM. Course and Prognosis of Schizophrenia and Related Disorders, (In Press) Oxford University Press, United Kingdom.
- Prasad KM, Horner MS. Psychiatric Assessment, In Oxford American Handbook of Psychiatry (Eds) Kupfer DJ, Horner MS, Brent DA, Lewis DA, Reynolds CF, Thase ME and Travis MJ, 2008. pp. 37-96. Oxford University Press, Oxford, United Kingdom.
- Prasad KM, Keshavan MS. Structural cerebral variations as useful endophenotypes in schizophrenia: Do they help construct extended endophenotypes? Schizophr Bull. 2008 Jul;34(4): 774-790. doi: 10.1093/schbul/sbn017. Epub 2008 Apr 11 PubMed PMID: 18408230; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2632444.
- Prasad KM, Nimgaonkar VL. Gene Mapping Studies for Schizophrenia: How useful are they for the clinician? In Neurogenetics of Psychiatric Disorders, (Ed) Sawa A & McInnis M, 2007. pp. 35-54. Taylor & Francis, New York, USA.
- Roffman JL, Simon AB, Prasad KM, Truman CJ, Morrison J, Ernst CL. Neuroscience in Psychiatry Training: How much do residents need to know? Am J Psychiatry. 2006 May;163:5:919-926. PubMed PMID: 16648336.
The Department of Psychiatry is pleased to announce the promotion of Konasale Prasad, MD to the rank of Associate Professor of Psychiatry. Dr. Prasad is a nationally recognized researcher in the field of schizophrenia and cognitive impairments, a dedicated clinician, and a thoughtful teacher and mentor. After earning his medical degree from the Government Medical College in India, he completed residencies at the Na...
Hot Publication - Prasad et al.
Research by Dr. Konasale Prasad and his colleagues featured in Special Issue of Schizophrenia Research Schizophrenia Research, 161, 2015 Schizophrenia and related psychotic disorders may be due to impaired anatomical and functional connections. Recent studies suggest a pattern of impaired connections in the fronto-temporal regions. However, its relationship to cognitive performance and future risk for schizophrenia...