Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Matthews KA, Jennings JR, Lee L, Pardini DA. Bullying and being bullied in childhood are associated with different psychosocial risk factors for poor physical health in men. Psychol Sci. 28(6):808-821, 2017.
- Matthews KA, El Khoudary SR, Brooks MM, Derby CA, Harlow SD, Barinas-Mitchell EJM, Thurston RC. Lipid changes around the final menstrual period predict carotid subclinical disease in postmenopausal women. Stroke. 48(1):70-76, 2017.
- Matthews KA, Boylan JM, Jakubowski KP, Cundiff JM, Lee L, Pardini DA, Jennings JR. Socioeconomic status and parenting during adolescence in relation to ideal cardiovascular health in Black and White men. Health Psychol. 36:673-81, 2017.
- Matthews KA, Chang YF, Thurston RC, Bromberger JT. Child abuse is related to inflammation in mid-life women: role of obesity. Brain Behav Immun. 36:29-34, 2014.
- Matthews KA, Dahl RE, Owens JF, Lee L, Hall M. Sleep duration and insulin resistance in healthy black and white adolescents. Sleep. 35(10):1353-8, 2012.
Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault Associated with Poorer Physical and Mental Health Among Midlife Women
A new study by Rebecca Thurston, PhD , Professor of Psychiatry, Clinical and Translational Science, Epidemiology and Psychology suggests that experiences of sexual harassment and sexual assault could have a significant impact on the physical and mental health of midlife women. Study results, published in JAMA Internal Medicine, also will be presented by Dr. Thurston at the North American Menopause Society meeting...
Hot Publication - Thurston et al.
Trajectories of Vasomotor Symptoms and Carotid Intima Media Thickness in the Study of Women's Health across the Nation Thurston RC, El Khoudary SR, Tepper PG, Jackson EA, Joffe H, Chen Y-H and Matthews KA Stroke, Published Online Emerging work has linked menopausal vasomotor symptoms (VMS) to subclinical cardiovascular disease (CVD) among women. However, these studies typically examine VMS at one time point in...
Hot Publication - Hall and Colleagues
African Genetic Ancestry is Associated with Sleep Depth in Older African Americans Halder I, Matthews KA, Buysse DJ, Strollo PJ, Causer V, Reis SE and Hall MH SLEEP, 38:1185-1193, 2015 A new study clearly establishes a partial genetic basis underlying racial differences in slow-wave sleep, suggesting that it may be possible to develop sleep-related therapies that target specific genetic variants. Using a panel of 1...
Hot Publication - Midei & Matthews
Positive Attributes Protect Adolescents from Risk for the Metabolic Syndrome Midei AJ and Matthews KM Journal of Adolescent Health, 55: 678-683, 2014 The risk for cardiovascular disease develops as early as adolescence. In a recent study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, Dr. Karen Matthews and her mentee, Dr. Aimee Midei, sought to identify whether low levels of positive and high levels of negative...