Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Karp JF, DiNapoli EA, Wetherell J, Bolon C, Rodriguez E, Shega J, Weiner DK. Deconstructing Chronic Low Back Pain in the Older Adults Step by Step Evidence and Expert-Based Recommendations for Evaluation and Treatment: Part VIII: Anxiety. Pain Medicine. 2016 Aug;17(8):1423-35. PMID: 27346887
- Karp JF, Dew MA, Wahed AS, Fitzgerald K, Bolon CA, Weiner DK, Morse JQ, Albert SM, Butters MA, Gildengers AG, Reynolds CF III: Challenges and Solutions for Depression Prevention Research: Methodology for a Depression Prevention Trial for Older Adults with Knee Arthritis and Emotional Distress. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2016 Jun;24(6):433-43. PMCID: PMC4870147
- Karp JF, Yu L, Friedly J, Amtmann D, Pilkonis PA. Negative Affect and Sleep Disturbance May be Associated with Response to Epidural Steroid Injections for Spine-Related Pain. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.2014;95(2):309-15. PMC4008542
- Karp JF, Butters MA, Begley A, Miller MD, Lenze EJ, Blumberberger D, Mulsant B, Reynolds CF. Safety, tolerability, and clinical effect of low-dose buprenorphine for treatment-resistant depression in midlife and older adults. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2014;75(8):e785-93. PMC4157317.
- Karp JF, Lee C-W, McGovern J, Stoehr G, Chang C-C, Ganguli M. Clinical and Demographic Covariates of Chronic Opioid and Non-Opioid Analgesic Use in Rural-Dwelling Older Adults: The MoVIES Project. International Psychogeriatrics.2013;25(11):1801-10. PMCID: PMC4020176
- Morone N, Schneider M, Karp J, Weiner D. Virtual Patient Simulation: An Older Adults with Chronic Low Back Pain . Produced as part of the University of Pittsburgh Center of Excellence in Pain Education. (http://vpsim.pitt.edu/shell/CaseList_Assignments.aspx)
- Karp JF. Podcast interview with Dr. Joan Cook about state of the science of PTSD in older adults. This accompanies an article Dr. Cook prepared for the American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry for a series I edit entitled Treatment in Geriatric Mental Health: Research in Action. http://www.ajgponline.org/amgp/audio
- Bernstein C, Schneider M, Karp JF, Weiner D. Virtual Patient Simulation: Widespread Pain & Fibromyalgia (Middle-Aged Woman). Produced as part of the University of Pittsburgh Center of Excellence in Pain Education. (http://vpsim.pitt.edu/shell/CaseList_Assignments.aspx)
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Promotes Jordan Karp, MD, to Professor of Psychiatry
We are delighted to announce that Jordan Karp, MD , has been promoted to the rank of Professor of Psychiatry by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. Karp is an internationally recognized expert in the field of geriatric psychiatry. He earned his MD from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, and after completing residency training in psychiatry at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, he...
Pitt School of Medicine Program Serves as Model for Meeting the Mental Health Needs of Its Students
Medical students have higher rates of depression, suicidal ideation, and burnout than the general population and greater concerns about the stigma of mental illness. The nature of medical education seems to contribute to this disparity, since students entering medical school score better on indicators of mental health than similarly aged college graduates. In a recent New England Journal of Medicine article by...
New Center for Interventions to Enhance Community Health (CiTECH) Aims to Improve Quality of Life for Individuals with Behavioral Health Conditions by Translating Research into Innovative Community-Based Interventions
Investigators in the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work and the Department of Psychiatry have established the Center for Interventions to Enhance Community Health (CiTECH) to study, understand, and improve community behavioral health services. Mental and behavioral health are cornerstones of a good quality of life, yet most people cannot obtain effective, evidence-based behavioral health services in the...
Jordan F. Karp, MD Receives Geriatrics Teacher of the Year Award
Jordan F. Karp, MD , Associate Professor of Psychiatry, has been selected as the 2018 Geriatrics Teacher of the Year by the Pennsylvania Geriatrics Society (Western Division). The award recognizes exceptional geriatrics teachers for their dedication and commitment to geriatrics teaching excellence. Charles F. (Chip) Reynolds, III, MD, Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry, and Lalith K. Solai, MD, Associate Professor of...