Gretchen L Haas, PhD
Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Psychology
3811 O'Hara St.
Education & Training
Wayne State University, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Clinical Psychology
Wayne State University, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Psychology
Children's Hospital of MichiganClinical Psychology (Child)
VA Medical Center, Allen ParkClinical Psychology (Adult)
Postgraduate Center for Mental HealthPsychoanalysis and Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy
Licensed by the Pennsylvania State Board of Psychology
Member, American Psychological Association
Member, Society for Biological Psychiatry
Member, Society for Neuroscience
Member, International Early Psychosis Association
Scientific Council Member, American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
Selected Honors & Awards
Research Award for Schizophrenia Research, Levy Foundation Research Award for Schizophrenia Research
Schizophrenia and psychotic disorders; Premorbid and prodromal indicators of risk; Social skills development in childrenSelected Research Publications & Products
- Horton, L.E., Bridgwater, M.A., Haas, G. L. Emotion recognition and social skills in child and adolescent offspring of parents with schizophrenia. Cogn Neuropsychiatry. In press.
- Horton LE, Smith AA, Haas GL. The nature and timing of social deficits in child and adolescent offspring of parents with schizophrenia: Preliminary evidence for precursors of negative symptoms. Schizophr Res 2014 Oct;159(1):27-30. doi: 10.1016/j.schres.2014.07.007. Epub 2014 Aug 10. PMID: 25112161. PMCID: PMC4243614
- Tarbox, S. I., L. H. Brown, L.H., Haas, G.L. Diagnostic specificity of poor premorbid adjustment: Comparison of schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, and mood disorder with psychotic features. Schizophr Res, 2012 Oct 141(1): 91-7. PMID: 22858353; PMCID: PMC3438358
- Haas GL, Garratt LS, Sweeney JA: Delay to first antipsychotic medication in schizophrenia: Impact on symptomatology and clinical course of illness. J Psychiatr Res May-Aug 1998, 32(3-4):151-9. PMID: 9793868.
- Haas GL, Sweeney JA: Premorbid and onset features of first-episode schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 1992, 18(3):373-86. PMID: 1411328
First episode schizophrenia and other psychoses; Family psychoeducation for schizophrenia; Risk, etiology, and prevention of suicideSelected Clinical Publications & Products
- Kasckow, J., Appelt, C., Haas, G., Huegel, S., Fox, L., Gurklis, J. & Daley, D. Development of a recovery manual for suicidal patients with schizophrenia. Schizophr Res, 130(1-3): 287-288,2011. PMID: 21601429
- Rubin LH, Haas GL, Keshavan MS, Sweeney JA, Maki PM. Sex difference in cognitive response to antipsychotic treatment in frist-episode schizophrenia. Neuropsychopharm, 33(2):290-7, 2008 Jan. PMID: 17392734; PMCID: PMC4394734; NIHMSID: NIHMS478562
- Haas, GL: Psychotherapeutic interventions for recent-onset schizophrenia: A review and guidelines. Prim Care Companion to J Clin Psychiatry Dec 2000, 7(12):63-8.
- Haas GL, Glick ID, Clarkin JF, Spencer JH, Lewis AB: Gender and schizophrenia outcome: a clinical trial of an inpatient family intervention. Schizophr Bull 1990, 16(2):277-92. PMID: 2197716
- Haas GL, Glick ID, Clarkin JF, Spencer JH, Lewis AB, Peyser J, DeMane N, Good-Ellis M, Harris E, Lestelle V: Inpatient family intervention: a randomized clinical trial. II. Results at hospital discharge. Arch Gen Psychiatry Mar 1988, 45(3):217-24. PMID: 3277578.
Early career development in mental health research; Interdisciplinary interventions for psychosis; Epidemiology and prevention of suicide