Brandon C McKinney, MD, PhD
Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- McKinney B. C., Ding, Y., Lewis, D.A., Sweet, R.A.. DNA Methylation as a Mechanism for Reduced Dendritic Spine Density in Schizophrenia. Translational Psychiatry. 2017. (PMID: 28195572).
- McKinney B. C., Lin, H., Ding, Y., Lewis, D.A., Sweet, R.A., DNA methylation evidence against the accelerated aging hypothesis of schizophrenia. npj Schizophrenia. 2017. (PMID: 28560259).
- McKinney BC, Lin CW, Oh H, Tseng G, Lewis DA, Sibille E., Hypermethylation of BDNF and SST Genes in the Orbital Frontal Cortex of Older Individuals: A Putative Mechanism for Declining Gene Expression with Age. Neuropsychopharmacology 2015. (PMID: 25881116; PMCID: PMC4569950).
- McKinney B.C., Oh H., Sibille E., Age-by-Disease Biological Interactions: Implications for Late Life Depression. Front Genet, 3:237; 2012. (PMID: 23162569; PMCID: PMC3499806).
- McKinney B.C., Sibille E., The Age-by-Disease Interaction Hypothesis of Late-Life Depression. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2012. (PMID: 23570886; PMCID: PMC3549303).
Department of Psychiatry Welcomes Talented New Researchers to Its Faculty
The Department of Psychiatry is well known as a leader in research examining the causes of mental health disorders and the development of innovative diagnostic and treatment methods to improve the lives of people living with these disorders. The recent appointment of four new research faculty has contributed to that reputation in the field and expanded the Department's research activities focusing on the brain and...
14th Annual Department of Psychiatry Research Day Celebrates Outstanding Science, Mentorship, and Academic Service
The Department of Psychiatry hosted its 14th Annual Research Day on June 5, 2014 at the University Club in Oakland, attracting the largest number of participants in the history of the event. Dr. David Lewis, Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry and the UPMC Endowed Professor in Translational Neuroscience, welcomed over 300 registered guests to this year?s event. Research Day is an important tradition that celeb...
2014 SOBP Meeting
Department of Psychiatry Research Well Represented at 2014 Society for Biological Psychiatry Meeting The Society for Biological Psychiatry (SOBP) hosted its 69th annual scientific meeting in New York City, May 8-10, 2014. The wide range of research at the University of Pittsburgh?s Department of Psychiatry was well represented at the meeting. Faculty, postdoctoral fellows, residents, and medical students presented...
Summer Research Institute
Brandon McKinney, MD, PhD Selected to Participate in 2014 Summer Research Institute in Geriatric Mental Health Congratulations to Brandon McKinney, MD, PhD, on being selected to participate in the 2014 Summer Research Institute in Geriatric Mental Health. Dr. McKinney is a graduate of the University of Michigan where he earned his medical degree and a doctorate in Neuroscience. He is currently a PGY4 psychiatry res...