Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Hafeman D, Merranko J, Goldstein T, Axelson D, Goldstein B, Monk K, Hickey MB, Sakolsky D, Diler R, Iyengar S, Brent D, Kupfer D, Kattan MW, Birmaher B. Individualizing the bipolar prodrome: person-level risk calculator to predict new-onset bipolar spectrum disorder in youth at familial risk. JAMA Psychiatry (Accepted).
- Birmaher B, Gill MK, Axelson DA, Goldstein BI, Goldstein TR, Yu H, Liao F, Iyengar S, Diler RS, Strober M, Hower H, Yen S, Hunt J, Merranko JA, Ryan ND, Keller MB. Longitudinal trajectories and associated baseline predictors in youths with bipolar spectrum disorders. Am J Psychiatry, 2014 Sep; 171(9):990-9. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp. 2014. 13121577. PMID 24874203. PMCID: PMC4164021.
- Birmaher B, Axelson D, Monk K, Kalas C, Goldstein B, Hickey MB, Obreja M, Ehmann M, Iyengar S, Shamseddeen W, Kupfer D, Brent D. Lifetime psychiatric disorders in school-aged offspring of parents with bipolar disorder: the Pittsburgh Bipolar Offspring study. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2009;66(3):287-96. PMID: 19255378. PMCID: PMC2756682.
- Birmaher B, Axelson DA, Monk K, Kalas C, Clark DB, Ehmann M, Bridge J, Heo J, Brent DA. Fluoxetine for the treatment of childhood anxiety disorders. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003;42(4):415-23. PMID: 12649628.
- Birmaher B, Arbelaez C, Brent D. Course and outcome of child and adolescent major depressive disorder. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2002;11(3):619-37, x. PMID: 12222086.
- Birmaher B. Bipolar Disorders. In: Martin A, Volkmar FR, eds. Lewiss Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: A Comprehensive Textbook. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, in press.
- Birmaher B and Brent DA. Depressive Disorders. Dulcans Textbook of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, APA Publishing, 2015
- Birmaher B. UpToDate: Diagnosis and Treatment of Children and Adolescents with Bipolar Disorders, 2014.
- Birmaher B, Brent D, Bernet W, Bukstein O, Walter H, Benson RS, Chrisman A, Farchione T, Greenhill L, Hamilton J, Keable H, Kinlan J, Schoettle U, Stock S, Ptakowski KK, Medicus J. Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with depressive disorders. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007;46(11):1503-26. PMID: 18049300. 10075518.
- Birmaher B, Brent DA, Chiappetta L, Bridge J, Monga S, Baugher M. Psychometric properties of the Screen for Child Anxiety Related Emotional Disorders (SCARED): a replication study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1999;38(10):1230-6. PMID: 10517055.
New Research in the Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Examines Family Functioning in Offspring of Bipolar Parents
For people living with bipolar disorder, challenging family relations can both result from and aggravate the disorder’s symptoms. Existing studies that examine the family environment of young people with familial risk for bipolar disorder have not distinguished whether stressors—such as high rates of conflict—are uniquely related to this disorder or are similarly experienced by families affected by other, non...
Now in Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry: Sleep Disturbances & Increasing Psychiatric Symptoms in High-Risk Youth
Major psychiatric disorders often arise during childhood and adolescence, especially among children whose parents have a psychiatric illness. Sleep patterns also shift substantially during the transition from childhood to adolescence. Sleep disturbances, often associated with most forms of psychopathology, have been identified as a promising behavioral intervention target to help treat young people with psychiatric...
Now In JAMA Psychiatry: Severity and Variability of Depression in Predicting Suicide Attempt in High-Risk Individuals
The ability to predict suicidal behavior in psychiatric patients is one of the most challenging and high-stakes aspects of clinical practice. However, psychiatric diagnoses are of limited value for prediction because the risk for suicidal behavior can vary substantially over the course of a psychiatric illness. Researchers including University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry investigators Nadine Melhem, PhD...
Bertocci et al. Use Machine Learning to Identify Neuroimaging Markers that Predict the Development of Bipolar Disorder Symptoms in High-Risk Children
Bipolar disorder (BD) is a highly heritable mental illness in which affected individuals experience alternating periods of mania and depression. For more than 15 years, Pitt Department of Psychiatry researchers have been conducting longitudinal assessments of families with BD aimed at identifying the earliest signs of the disorder. The latest analysis of this neuroimaging data, recently published in the journal...