Education & Training
Selected Honors & Awards
- Hafeman D, Merranko J, Goldstein T, Axelson D, Goldstein B, Monk K, Hickey MB, Sakolsky D, Diler R, Iyengar S, Brent D, Kupfer D, Kattan MW, Birmaher B. Individualizing the bipolar prodrome: person-level risk calculator to predict new-onset bipolar spectrum disorder in youth at familial risk. JAMA Psychiatry (Accepted).
- Birmaher B, Gill MK, Axelson DA, Goldstein BI, Goldstein TR, Yu H, Liao F, Iyengar S, Diler RS, Strober M, Hower H, Yen S, Hunt J, Merranko JA, Ryan ND, Keller MB. Longitudinal trajectories and associated baseline predictors in youths with bipolar spectrum disorders. Am J Psychiatry, 2014 Sep; 171(9):990-9. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp. 2014. 13121577. PMID 24874203. PMCID: PMC4164021.
- Birmaher B, Axelson D, Monk K, Kalas C, Goldstein B, Hickey MB, Obreja M, Ehmann M, Iyengar S, Shamseddeen W, Kupfer D, Brent D. Lifetime psychiatric disorders in school-aged offspring of parents with bipolar disorder: the Pittsburgh Bipolar Offspring study. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2009;66(3):287-96. PMID: 19255378. PMCID: PMC2756682.
- Birmaher B, Axelson DA, Monk K, Kalas C, Clark DB, Ehmann M, Bridge J, Heo J, Brent DA. Fluoxetine for the treatment of childhood anxiety disorders. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003;42(4):415-23. PMID: 12649628.
- Birmaher B, Arbelaez C, Brent D. Course and outcome of child and adolescent major depressive disorder. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2002;11(3):619-37, x. PMID: 12222086.
- Birmaher B. Bipolar Disorders. In: Martin A, Volkmar FR, eds. Lewiss Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: A Comprehensive Textbook. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, in press.
- Birmaher B and Brent DA. Depressive Disorders. Dulcans Textbook of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, APA Publishing, 2015
- Birmaher B. UpToDate: Diagnosis and Treatment of Children and Adolescents with Bipolar Disorders, 2014.
- Birmaher B, Brent D, Bernet W, Bukstein O, Walter H, Benson RS, Chrisman A, Farchione T, Greenhill L, Hamilton J, Keable H, Kinlan J, Schoettle U, Stock S, Ptakowski KK, Medicus J. Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with depressive disorders. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007;46(11):1503-26. PMID: 18049300. 10075518.
- Birmaher B, Brent DA, Chiappetta L, Bridge J, Monga S, Baugher M. Psychometric properties of the Screen for Child Anxiety Related Emotional Disorders (SCARED): a replication study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1999;38(10):1230-6. PMID: 10517055.
Now In JAMA Psychiatry: Severity and Variability of Depression in Predicting Suicide Attempt in High-Risk Individuals
The ability to predict suicidal behavior in psychiatric patients is one of the most challenging and high-stakes aspects of clinical practice. However, psychiatric diagnoses are of limited value for prediction because the risk for suicidal behavior can vary substantially over the course of a psychiatric illness. Researchers including University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry investigators Nadine Melhem, PhD...
Bertocci et al. Use Machine Learning to Identify Neuroimaging Markers that Predict the Development of Bipolar Disorder Symptoms in High-Risk Children
Bipolar disorder (BD) is a highly heritable mental illness in which affected individuals experience alternating periods of mania and depression. For more than 15 years, Pitt Department of Psychiatry researchers have been conducting longitudinal assessments of families with BD aimed at identifying the earliest signs of the disorder. The latest analysis of this neuroimaging data, recently published in the journal...
Publications by Department of Psychiatry Faculty Rank Among the Top 1% of Cited Works in 2018
Pictured above (left to right): Drs. William Klunk, David Lewis, Mary Phillips, Boris Birmaher, and Bernie Devlin The Department of Psychiatry is proud to announce that five current members of the faculty have been named Highly Cited Researchers for 2018: Boris Birmaher, MD; Bernie J. Devlin, PhD; William E. Klunk, MD, PhD; David A. Lewis, MD; and Mary L. Phillips, MD. Distinguished Emeritus Professor David J....
Phillips and Colleagues Find New Risk Marker of Bipolar Disorder in Most Comprehensive Neuroimaging Study of High-Risk Children to Date
Mary Phillips, MD, MD (CANTAB), left, pictured with the publication's lead author, Heather Acuff. Bipolar disorder (BD), formerly known as manic depression, is a serious mental illness characterized by extreme changes in mood and energy levels that cycle between mania and depression. BD is highly heritable, so children of individuals with BD have an increased risk of also developing the disorder, which often first...