Anne Germain, PhD
Education & Training
- Stocker RPJ, Khan H, Henry L, Germain A. Effects of sleep loss on subjective complaints and objective neurocognitive performance as measured by the immediate post-concussion assessment and cognitive testing. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 32(3):349-368, 2017. doi: 10.1093/arclin/acx003.
- Steele M, Germain A, Campbell J. Mediation and moderation of the relationship between combat experiences and posttraumatic stress disorder in active-duty military personnel. Military Medicine, 182(5): e1632-e1639, 2017. doi.org/10.7205/MILMED-D-16-00169
- Germain A, James J, Insana S, Herringa RJ, Mammen O, Price J, Nofzinger EA. A window into the invisible wound of war: Functional neuroimaging of REM sleep in returning combat veterans with PTSD. Psychiatry Research, 211(2):176-9, 2013. doi: 10.1016/j.pscychresns.2012.05.007. PMCID: PMC3570584.
- Germain A, Richardson R, Stocker R, Mammen O, Hall M, Bramoweth A, Begley A, Rode N, Frank E, Hass G, Buysse DJ. Treatment for insomnia in combat-exposed OEF/OIF military veterans: preliminary randomized controlled trial. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 61:78-88, 2014. doi: 10.1016/j.brat.2014.07.016. PMCID: PMC4180045
- Germain A. Sleep disturbances as the hallmark of PTSD: Where are we now? American Journal of Psychiatry, 170(4):372-382, 2013. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2012.12040432. PMCID: PMC4197954.
Dr. Anne Germain Addresses Pervasive Issue of Sleep Disturbances in Military Populations
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is commonly associated with combat service, but not everyone realizes that sleep disturbances are just as common in soldiers. It is estimated that 54% of those who have served in combat since 9/11 have insomnia, according to Anne Germain, PhD, who is an international leader in the field of sleep disturbances in trauma-related disorders, particularly PTSD. Dr. Germain is...
Hot Publication - Wilckens et al.
The role of non-rapid eye movement slow wave activity in prefrontal metabolism across young and middle-aged adults Wilckens KA, Aizenstein HJ, Nofzinger EA, James JA, Hasler BP, Rosario-Rivera BL, Franzen PL, Germain A, Hall MH, Kupfer DJ, Price JC, Siegle GJ and Buysse DJ Journal of Sleep Research, 25:296-306 (2016) Slow-wave sleep is a marker for cortical reorganization, particularly within the prefrontal cortex,...
Career Milestone - Dr. Anne Germain
Congratulations to Anne Germain, PhD on her recent conferral of tenure by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Dr. Germain is Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Psychology, and Clinical and Translational Science. She began her career at the University of Pittsburgh in 2001 as a postdoctoral research fellow and was appointed to the faculty as an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry In 2005. She was...
Hot Publication - Kay et al.
Subjective-objective sleep discrepancy among older adults: associations with insomnia diagnosis and insomnia treatment Kay DB, Buysse DJ, Germain A, Hall M and Monk TH Journal of Sleep Research, 24:32-39, 2015 Discrepancy between subjective and objective measures of sleep is associated with insomnia and increasing age. Cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia improves sleep quality and decreases subjective...